Friday 29 April 2011

My trip to MOTAT by Deanna

This is my review of when I went to MOTAT and what I saw, experienced and learned.
I was so excited that MOTAT was giving us a free visit to help us with our project planning. When we got to the entrance of MOTAT we saw the others waiting at the tram station. We wrote on our mind map page MOTAT visit and in the same bubble we wrote ‘look at transport inventions’ and ‘look at how they were invented’. We also wrote in our positives, negatives and world issues. E.g. a positive was ‘Make work for other people’, a negative was ‘It causes pollution’ and a worldwide issue was ‘Petrol is high price’.
My group started at the cars. We had two main questions to answer-‘Why was it invented?’ and ‘how was it invented?’
There was a wheel connected to a handle and when the handle was turned the wheel began to rotate which made another wheel turn.
After the cars we went to the trams. It was the one you could climb into but not for a ride. We sat on the little seat in there and began to write. I wrote ‘It was invented because cars didn’t have enough room for heaps of people. They invented it by making a long car then putting double seats in them.’ On the way back to the main place we went to the buses which were near the trams. I learned that you should always make a model before building the real thing.’ We went into a place that had a big screen and watched a little episode called ‘The transportation of goods’ I learned that food that takes long to get to land is less healthy than food that is growing in your garden. The very last thing we visited was the bicycles. I thought it was weird how the first bike invented had a huge front wheel and a tiny back wheel just for balance. I found out the reason for this is because the pedal was on the front big wheel which meant you have to pedal less than if the wheel was smaller. Once the bicycle chain was invented both wheels could be the same size.  I also found out from Wikipedia the first bike was called a penny farthing because the big wheel was like a British penny and the small wheel was like a small farthing.
Thank you MOTAT for making this trip one of the best.

6 comments:

  1. It was interesting because you told us where the penny fathing came from. You should work on the very last thing was the bicycles maybe they were all types of sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna, I really liked how you remembered that we had two big questions to think about when we were going round the inventions trail. The questions were - Why was it invented? and How was it invented?

    You could improve your review by adding some information about what other things people had to think about with the early transport inventions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna I really liked your review and I really don't think you need to improve it. You have explained very well all about the invention of the cars and trams. I think yours is the best so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deanna,I like how you rememberd the mind map and what we wrote on it. I don't think you need any inprovement's because you have put alot of information in it. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deanna,I really liked reading your review because you remember all those things we were talking about at motat. I really don't think you need to improve your review. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete